Minister Probe Police Brutality Claim
“I want answers from police."
Wednesday 14 May 2025 | 09:04
Updated 08 August 2025 | 15:44 FJT
Minister for Policing Ioane Naivalurua (left), with Assistant Commissioner of Police Aporosa Lutunauga in Labasa on May 12, 2025. (INSET), Laisana Bolatini. Photos: Shratika Naidu
A mother’s plea to the Minister for Policing Ioane Naivalurua to investigate an alleged police brutality claim has been pursued.
This after Laisana Bolatini relayed the incident, which involved her juvenile son, during a talanoa session where Mr Naivalurua was present before the former President Ratu Wiliame Katonivere in Seaqaqa, Macuata, last week.
Emotional in her explanation, she said it was an embarrassment and painful moment for the whole family to witness their son being manhandled by personnel of Seaqaqa Police Station.
Related stories
“I want answers from police as to why they kicked and dragged my son without telling him or me as a parent for the reason of arrest,” Ms Bolatini said before the gathering.
Mr Naivalurua responded to her assuring that he would talk to Seaqaqa Police Station officers to find out what happened and update her.
Assurance from Policing Minister
In an interview at Subrail Park in Labasa yesterday, Mr Naivalurua confirmed that he delivered his promise.
“I met with the senior police officers immediately to discuss about the mother’s concern and we managed to meet her and sort it out,” Mr Naivalurua said.
“She also apologised to have spoken about this in a public space, but we understand where she is coming from.”
He highlighted the importance of media’s role in balancing articles before it published reports stating that it was ethical to get both sides of the story.
Feedback: shratikan@fijisun.com.fj