Minister Warns On Rising Dengue Threat

-

Friday 02 March 2018 | 09:40

The Ministry of Health and Medical Services says it has recorded 1040 dengue cases so far.

This was highlighted by the Health Minister Rosy Akbar during the Waituri Illegal Dump Site Clean-up Operations in Waituri, in Nausori, yesterday.

She said that dengue had become an all-year round public health threat. On February 20, the ministry declared a dengue outbreak in Nadi and Ba.

“We now have a recorded total of 1040 confirmed dengue cases for Fiji as of February 23. This means an average of 61 cases a week,” Ms Akbar said.

“(For the) Zika virus only one positive case was recorded in 2017. Nothing reported as of today.

“These signs all point (to the fact) that dengue is likely to grow in extent and become worse in the coming years if we do not take preventative measures now.

“Experts say that dengue is largely a man-made problem … increasing human population, global travel and trade, rapid urbanisation, poor water storage and sanitation all provide a possible environment in which mosquitoes can spread the virus.

“The truth is dumping of rubbish creates an environment for mosquito breeding and spread of disease.”

Dengue breakdown:

Central Division: 45 confirmed dengue cases

Northern Division: 593. Dengue outbreak declared on January 3, average of 82 cases per week

Western Division 399: Outbreak declared on February 20

Edited by George Kulamaiwasa

Feedback:  ashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj