Ministry Rebuild 340 Out Of 596 Houses Destroyed By TC Harold
This was highlighted by Minister for Forestry Osea Naiqamu in Parliament, who said the houses were part of 596 houses that were destroyed during Tropical Cyclone Harold in April this year.
Thursday 10 December 2020 | 15:42
Newly elected FijiFirst Member of Parliament Viren Lal outside Parliament on December 9, 2020. Photo: Ronald Kumar.
After 30 weeks of operations, the Ministry of Forestry has completed the structures of about 340 houses, covering 37 villages in Kadavu.
This was highlighted by Minister for Forestry Osea Naiqamu in Parliament, who said the houses were part of 596 houses that were destroyed during Tropical Cyclone Harold in April this year.
“We have purchased additional portable sawmills and are also carrying out housing rehabilitation work in Vatulele where we have re-purposed timber for 15 houses, 16 in Matuku, 11 in Totoya, and 15 in Ono-i-Lau,” Mr Naiqamu said.
Related stories
“In total, we have repurposed timber for about 400 houses in the maritime zone, and my ministry is collaborating with other agencies, including the Ministry of Rural and Maritime Development and the Ministry of Housing and Community Development to help the villagers to build back better and stronger with Category 4 cyclone resilient houses.”
He added that renewed efforts had been undertaken in the mahogany industry to complete the boundary surveys, confirm stock availability, facilitate the full and active participation of resource-owners, promote downstream processing and value adding, and market Fiji’s high-value products to niche international markets.
Furthermore, the ministry has reviewed its business facilitation processes and now provides export license within 24 hours.
Work is also progressing to issue harvesting licenses within 24 hours, taking advantage of the advancements in information technology.
Edited by Jonathan Bryce
Feedback: fonua.talei@fijisun.com.fj