Ministry Traces $360 Double-Dippers

“There were people that have more than one sim card from different networks and they applied from all of them, and we were able to track them,” Mr Gounder said.

Tuesday 24 August 2021 | 11:00

Fijians line up in front of the Vodafone outlet at Damodar City on August 23, 2021 Photo: Leon Lord

Fijians line up in front of the Vodafone outlet at Damodar City on August 23, 2021 Photo: Leon Lord

About 20,000 Fijians had applied from different sim cards for the $360 unemployment Government assistance.

This was confirmed by the Ministry of Economy Permanent Secretary Shiri Krishna Gounder yesterday.

“There were people that have more than one sim card from different networks and they applied from all of them, and we were able to track them,” Mr Gounder said.

“We made sure that everyone that had applied met the criteria.”

Mr Goundar refuted claims that there were some who had received the assistance without applying.

“We started the payment from last week Thursday, and it will take a few more days before the others receive the $360.

“We will continue the payment in the next few days because there are some vaccination details that need clarification.”

Edited by Selita Rabuku 

Feedback: wati.talebula@fijisun.com.fj