Murder Trial for Ex-Corrections Officers Will Take 4 Weeks

The four allegedly murdered Jone Masirewa and allegedly assaulted causing actual bodily harm on Jone Nawai.

Thursday 25 April 2024 | 11:10

From left: Navitalai Kanavo, Onisimo Raboiliku, Semesa Bulikalougata and Suliasi Tubuna at the High Court in Lautoka. Photos: File

From left: Navitalai Kanavo, Onisimo Raboiliku, Semesa Bulikalougata and Suliasi Tubuna at the High Court in Lautoka. Photos: File

The High Court in Lautoka yesterday heard that the trial for four former corrections officers who are facing murder charges would take four weeks.

This is the case of Onisimo Raboiliku, Semesa Bulikalougata, Suliasi Tubuna, and Navitalai Kanavo, who are charged with the alleged murder of a remand prisoner, Jone Masirewa in 2020, and assault causing actual bodily harm of remand prisoner Jone Nawali.

The case was heard by High Court Judge, Justice Sekonaia Vodokisolomone. Raboiliku was represented by Babu Singh and Associates, Bulikalougata by Samuela Heritage of Iqbal Khan and Associates while Tubuna and Kanavo were represented by Legal Aid Commission lawyer Kelly Vulimainadave. Mohammed Rafiq appeared for the prosecution.

Mr Rafiq told the court that the pretrial conference documents for Raboiliku, Tubuana and Kanavo had been finalised with Bulikalogata’s pending, Mr Hertiage sought time to finalise the same.

The court heard that a trial date was yet to be set and that the state sought for another date for the pretrial conference.

Justice Vodokisolomone told Mr Rafiq to ensure this was dealt with quickly as this was an old matter.

The court heard that the tentative dates for the trial would be from January 20-31, 2025, to the first two weeks of February.

Ms Vulimainadave told the court she intended to make representations for the state to consider the charges for her client.

The matter was adjourned to May 16 for mention and bail was extended for the accused persons.

Feedback: salote.qalubau@fijisun.com.fj