Nawaqavanua Makes Tough Decision For Daughter And Family Welfare

The 26-year-old of Banaras, Lautoka was among 192 Fijians who were recruited under the Pacific Australia Labour Mobility Scheme.

Friday 08 April 2022 | 12:09

Sairusi Nawaqavanua.

Sairusi Nawaqavanua.

The thought of leaving his three-year-old daughter for three years kept Sairusi Nawaqavanua in two minds.

But the hardships he faced to provide for his family convinced him to make the decision to leave for work opportunity overseas.

The 26-year-old of Banaras, Lautoka was among 192 Fijians who were recruited under the Pacific Australia Labour Mobility Scheme.

He used to work as a security guard at the Nadi International Airport and was laid off in 2020.

Since then, he has been vending to sustain his family’s livelihood.

“I applied for this scheme in December 2020 and I did not expect I would get it,” he said.

“Since then I have been doing backyard gardening and selling fish that my father caught.

“But my father is 54-years-old and I want him to have a rest now.”

Mr Nawaqavanua said: “I have a three-year-old daughter and she will be going to kindergarten after two years, but unfortunately, I will not be here to take her to school.

“I will miss her so much.”

Mr Nawaqavanua was optimistic that he would fulfill his family’s dream of building a house.

“The cost of living is very high in Fiji and I will send money to my family and save money too.

“I would like to thank the Fijian and the Australian Government for this opportunity.”

Mr Nawaqavanua was set to depart for Australia on Wednesday to work on a banana farm.

Feedbacksheenal.charan@fijisun.com.fj