No Changes To Health Protections Restrictions, Police Urge Fijians To Disregard Fake News

Commissioner of Police Brigadier-General Sitiveni Qiliho said Fijians must source information from credible sources and await official confirmation from the Government.

Friday 15 May 2020 | 17:49

Commissioner of Police Brigadier-General Sitiveni Qiliho during a press conference in Suva. Photo: Inoke Rabonu

Commissioner of Police Brigadier-General Sitiveni Qiliho during a press conference in Suva. Photo: Inoke Rabonu

Fake news that the curfew had been shifted to start from midnight to five in the morning has started making rounds yesterday as Fijians anticipated relaxation of restrictions.

There are no changes to the health protections restriction and the Fiji Police Force has urged Fijians to ignore and disregard the fake news.

Commissioner of Police Brigadier-General Sitiveni Qiliho said Fijians must source information from credible sources and await official confirmation from the Government.

“As stated in the Prime Minister's official address to the nation this afternoon, the curfew remains in effect.”

“As reiterated by the Prime Minister, success has shown that if you respect the science and act decisively, this virus can be beaten.

“Contact tracing saves lives. Stopping mass gatherings saves lives. Staying home saves lives.”

Mr Qiliho said changing behaviour including shopping, travelling, washing hands and other things learnt during the COVID-19 crisis would save lives.

Police operations would continue as normal and those caught will be dealt with accordingly.

Feedback: shalveen.chand@fijisun.com.fj