'No need for mini-budget yet'
Mr Immanuel said a mini-budget would only be considered if an emergency situation arose.
Tuesday 19 May 2026 | 23:30
Finance Minister Esrom Immanuel has ruled out the need for a mini-budget at this stage, confirming Government remains on course to deliver a full national budget at the end of June despite concerns over rising fuel costs linked to the ongoing Middle East conflict.
Speaking on the sidelines of the Pacific Financial Technical Assistance Centre Steering Committee Meeting in Suva yesterday, Mr Immanuel said a mini-budget would only be considered if an emergency situation arose.
“Not at this time,” he said, adding Government was working to address any financial challenges through existing measures rather than introducing a short-term spending plan.
Related stories
His comments follow remarks by Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka earlier this week suggesting Government was considering a mini-budget to manage spending for the remainder of 2026 before transitioning to a January-to-December fiscal cycle next year.
Former minister and economist Mahendra Reddy had questioned the proposal, warning it could signal weaknesses in fiscal planning after Government had already redirected $56 million from delayed projects.
Mr Immanuel also confirmed Australia’s AU$30 million ($47 million) budget support would be deposited into Government revenue and allocated according to national priorities, including pressures caused by fuel price increases.
He said Fiji’s financial position remained stable and was performing better than expected.
Explore more on these topics
Advertisement
Advertise with Fiji Sun