No proof of approvals for payments found

Mr Naitoko said, in his opinion, the clause upon which Pryde exercised the transactions should’ve been checked again by the Judicial Service Commission. 

Sunday 08 December 2024 | 08:40

Director of Public Prosecutions Christopher Pryde.

Director of Public Prosecutions Christopher Pryde.

An investigation conducted by the Attorney General’s office found payment vouchers made to suspended director of Public Prosecutor, Christopher Pryde, were not approvals.

Principal Accounts Officer, AG’s office, Paula Naitoka revealed this during the last day of the tribunal on Friday into allegations of Mr Pryde receiving payment without any approval.

While taking the stand, Mr Naitoka said although the investigation was not as thorough, they managed to find two payment vouchers from January 2011, the same year Mr Pryde was appointed DPP.

Mr Naitoko said the timeframe it took them to carry out the investigation was limited.

He could not confirm if there were limited records available on Mr Pryde’s payment history from 2007, however he was adamant that there could have been more records, but they did not check all the records.

Mr Naitoko said, in his opinion, the clause upon which Pryde exercised the transactions should’ve been checked again by the Judicial Service Commission.

He said the clause should’ve quantified the amount he was allowed to receive indicating this was one of the weaknesses of those that drafted the contract.

Auditor General

Auditor General, Finau Nagera echoed the same sentiments saying they would have sought more clarification from the DPP about his payroll.

Ms Nagera said his payroll must show an amount and an explanation as to what the process was to come to such an amount.

She said this was only picked up by their office after the request came to investigate.

She said she noticed Mr Pryde had been practicing this before he came into the DPP’s office, however the issue was never raised back then in Parliament.

The last five witnesses took the stand on Friday.

The Fiji Law Society has been given until next Friday to make their submissions before the tribunal submits their final report to the President, Ratu Naiqama Lalabalavu on December 23.

Feedback: Beranadeta@fijisun.com.fj