Ono-i-Lau Villagers Were Prepared, Communicating With Ministry During TC Gita: Seruiratu
-
Tuesday 06 March 2018 | 11:13
Ministry of Agriculture official inspects the damage caused by TC Gita in Ono-i-Lau. Photo: Nacanieli Tuilevuka
The Minister for Agriculture Inia Seruiratu has highlighted that during Tropical Cyclone Gita, the villagers of Ono-i-Lau were well prepared based on the information they had received.
Speaking in Parliament yesterday Mr Seruiratu said he applauded the communication his ministry and the local community had prior to and after TC Gita.
“It was still possible for us to communicate with the community particularly the turaga ni koro (village headmen) in the respective villages of the affected islands,” he said.
Related stories
“There were evacuation centres activated in the villages of Ono-i-Lau in Vatoa and Kadavu as well. About 1105 people moved into these evacuation centres.”
Mr Seruiratu said these were positive lessons learned because most people were now responsive and taking seriously advice sent out by the ministry.
“A team went to Ono-i-Lau last month to visit villagers with relevant stores for assistance and focused mainly on water needs, food and carrying out the damage assessments which had been completed,” he said.
Meanwhile, Mr Seruiratu revealed that 44.11 per cent was damage to root crops, tree crops, vegetables and livestock caused by Tropical Cyclone Gita.
Coconuts or copra recorded the highest percentage of damage at 84.16 per cent with an estimated value of $218,228.
Mr Seruiratu said based on its assessment on food security, the ministry recommended that for the 57 per cent of the existing staple crops completely damaged, food rations for the next three months were needed. It was also recommended that the government assists all piggery farmers with fencing and feed.
The ministry will provide 800 kilograms of Tivoli (Rotuma) seed material to Ono-i-Lau,
Preliminary damage assessments indicated that damage was minimal despite TC Gita being a Category 4 cyclone.
Damage costs are being estimated at $1.27million with agriculture accounting for $0.32m.
In response to questions from the Opposition Mr Seruiratu stated that the ministry conducted training for communities to be able to build homes that were damaged by Cyclone Winston.
“The security and safety of all Fijians is the primary concern of any Government and of course we ensure that homes are built to standard,” he said.
“We should also be aware of the fact that most of the homes in rural Fiji, the cost is from the home owners and in some instances government does subsidise,” he said.
“Wherever they are government subsidised, homes are built to standard.”
Meanwhile, the ministry will be tabling the damage assessments and rehabilitation options reports of TC Gita on Ono-i-Lau in the next Cabinet meeting.
Edited by Percy Kean