Panapasa Faces Office Abuse, General Dishonesty Charges

Former Fiji Corrections Service (FCS) Acting Commissioner, Salote Panapasa fronted the Suva Magistrate’s Court on Friday for charges of abuse of office.

Saturday 15 June 2024 | 15:20

Salote Panapasa outside the Suva Magistrate’s Court on June 14, 2024. Photo: Ronald Kumar

Salote Panapasa outside the Suva Magistrate’s Court on June 14, 2024. Photo: Ronald Kumar

Former Fiji Corrections Service (FCS) Acting Commissioner, Salote Panapasa fronted the Suva Magistrate’s Court on Friday for charges of abuse of office.

She appeared before Magistrate Krishan Prasad with two counts of abuse office and an alternative charge of general dishonesty causing a loss.

It is alleged that between August 1 and September 30, 2023, Panapasa whilst being employed as a civil servant in Suva, instructed officers to facilitate the use of building materials of the FCS for her private residence in Kinoya.

It is also alleged that between August 1 and October 31, 2023, Panapasa instructed the Corrections officers to alter the weekly reports to justify the use of the building materials at her home.

During the court proceedings, the Fiji independent Commission Against Corruption’s (FICAC) Lanieta More told the court they were not objecting to bail, however proposed that strict bail conditions be imposed.

She said the first set of disclosures had been filed and served.

Panapasa was bailed on a $5000 non-cash bail bond.

Her sureties included her elder brother, who is a former Republic of Fiji Military Forces officer and elder sister, who is a former lecturer at the Fiji National University (FNU).

Panapasa was ordered to report to the Valelevu Police Station every last day of the month and to remain at her fixed address until her case has been dealt with.

She was also ordered not to interfere with State witnesses and not to reoffend while on bail.

Panapasa surrendered all her travel documents to the Magistrate Court Registry on Friday before leaving the court and a stop departure order was issued.

Magistrate Prasad then adjourned the matter to July 5 for mention to elect a court as the offence was an electable one.

The court will look into the full disclosures to be served by FICAC.

Feedback: Beranadeta@fijisun.com.fj