Parents to Pay $600 for Son’s Lie

She added her client had been attending all his court appearances.

Thursday 10 April 2025 | 10:42

The parents of one of the men charged for brutally assaulting and stealing from a 65-year-old woman in 2023, were ordered to pay $600 for their son’s bond after it was revealed he had lied.

The order came after the State Prosecution requested the revocation of his bail.

The accused person who was charged as a juvenile, appeared alongside Mosese Luveitasau before Justice Pita Bulamainaivalu at the High Court in Suva yesterday to check on the readiness for their upcoming trial.

The two men were charged with aggravated robbery after allegedly breaking into a couple’s home in Koronivia, near Nausori. They assaulted Maya Wati and stole a gold watch, ring, jewellery, a Samsung phone, and $400 in cash.

During the proceeding, State prosecutor Zenith Zunaid told the court the accused person lied on December 12 last year, claiming he was late to court due to traffic in Lami. Mr Zunaid revealed Waqa was actually arrested that morning and appeared in the Suva Magistrate Court after being found in possession of marijuana.

Mr Zunaid said that being arrested while on bail was a clear violation of the bail conditions. He urged the court to consider the purpose of the bail condition and that the court should not tolerate lies.

Defence lawyer Ruci Nabainivalu from the Legal Aid Commission told the court that her client acknowledged having another case but asked for the court’s understanding, as he still attended the hearing that same day.

She added her client had been attending all his court appearances.

Decision

Justice Bulamainaivalu inquired about the whereabouts of the accused person's parents and why they were not consulted, as they were sureties responsible for ensuring his court appearances.

Ms Nabainivalu explained that he did not inform them, but noted that he had taken a progressive approach to his drug case, which resulted in his discharge.

After considering the facts, Justice Bulamainaivalu stated he would explore an alternative solution. While acknowledging that the State was entitled to seek bail revocation for lying, he pointed out that the accused person had attended all his court appearances.

The accused person was warned never to lie in court again, and due to his lie, his parents were ordered to pay $300 each from their $2000 bond.

While the State upheld its request for bail revocation, Justice Bulamainaivalu decided that the alternative measure would ensure the parents stayed accountable, leaving them with a balance of $700.

His parents have been ordered to appear on April 24 for an explanation; his bail has been extended.

Feedback: Beranadeta@fijisun.com.fj