PM Offers Prayers, Sympathy for Quake Victims
Videos circulating on social media showed the collapse of numerous structures, including high-rise buildings in Bangkok.
Thursday 03 April 2025 | 10:47
Damaged buildings are pictured in Sagaing, Myanmar, April 1, 2025. A 7.9-magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar on March 28. Photo: Xinhua
Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs Sitiveni Rabuka, has urged Fijians in Myanmar and Thailand to stay alert and comply with safety precautions after a major earthquake hit the region last week.
The 7.7 magnitude earthquake in Myanmar caused serious damage and significant loss of lives.
Videos circulating on social media showed the collapse of numerous structures, including high-rise buildings in Bangkok.
Related stories
According to the latest reports, more than 2000 people have died in Myanmar, with many more injured, at least 20 have been killed in neighbouring Thailand.
“On behalf of the people and the Government of Fiji, I extend my heartfelt condolences to the families who have lost loved ones, and our prayers and thoughts are for a swift recovery to those who have been injured,” said Mr Rabuka in a statement released on the Fiji Government Facebook page on Tuesday.
“Fiji’s Diplomatic Missions in the region have confirmed the safety of all Fijians in both Myanmar and Thailand and are closely monitoring the situation in coordination with the relevant authorities.”
He said Fiji stood in solidarity with the people of Myanmar and Thailand and offered prayers for those who lost their lives in the disaster.
Feedback: jernese.macanawai@fijisun.com.fj