PM Pressured to Investigate Malimali's Appointment

G9 crossbencher, Mosese Bulitavu commended Mr Rabuka’s move to initiate a Board of Inquiry.

Tuesday 17 September 2024 | 15:28

Commissioner FICAC Barbara Malimali and Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka.

Commissioner FICAC Barbara Malimali and Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka.

Pressure is now on Government, in particular the Prime Minister to quickly activate an independent Board of Inquiry into the controversial appointment of Barbara Malimali, the new Commissioner of the Fiji Independ­ent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC).

While the exercise may be costly and time consuming, political commentators insist it must be done.

The people of Fiji need answers and are watching, said Opposition’s lone, but outspoken female Member of Parliament, Premila Kumar.

She said this was not the first time the Judicial Services Commission (JSC) has marked up. Last year the Commission had appointed John Rabuku as acting Director of Public Prosecutions. He was later found to be ineligible for the role by the Supreme Court.

“Why was Malimali’s appointment rushed, despite widespread knowledge of her being under investigation?” Ms Kumar asked.

Ms Kumar said common sense dictated that anyone under scrutiny should not be elevated to such a high-profile office.

Despite PM Sitiveni Rabuka’s announcement of his next course of action through the Board of Inquiry, former Prime Minister Mahendra Chaudhry said he was concerned over the laxity the Coalition Government had been accustomed to concerning the case.

G9 crossbencher, Mosese Bulitavu commended Mr Rabuka’s move to initiate a Board of Inquiry.

“Politically, the ongoing FICAC debate is happening under his leadership and a few of his ministers including the Attorney-General have publicly commented on it by defending Ms Malimali’s appointment,” Mr Bulitavu said.

“FICAC is an independent institution and the Prime Minister does not oversee it, but whenever it is mentioned, people will point a finger as the PM as head of Government.”

Mr Bulitavu said a BOI would bring the whole saga to a closure.

Ms Malimali was contacted yesterday for a comment.

“I’m sorry, I actually don’t have anything to say right now, I’m sorry, I can’t answer any questions right now, I have to go,” she said.

This masthead also reached out to the Attorney-General Graham Leung and the JSC yesterday but did not receive any response.

Feedback: jone.salusalu@fijisun.com.fj