PM Rabuka says Govt trying to avoid EFL surcharge

EFL warns power rationing could begin if financial support is not provided.

Thursday 21 May 2026 | 11:30

Updated 22 May 2026 | 10:23 FJT

Energy Fiji Limited wireman working on power line at Ratu Dovi Road, Suva

Energy Fiji Limited wireman working on power line at Ratu Dovi Road, Suva

Photo: Ronald Kumar

Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka says he is concerned about the proposed Energy Fiji Limited (EFL) 11-cent electricity surcharge.

“Government will try to avoid it at all costs,” he said.

Speaking during a press conference at the Ministry of Information in Suva, Mr Rabuka said he had not yet met EFL executives, but planned to do so within 48 hours.

“I am concerned. I will be concerned. And that is why we are trying to avoid it at all costs,” he said.

EFL has said it would begin power rationing across the country if Government does not provide financial support by today, May 22.

The surcharge, an additional 11 cents per unit of electricity, has drawn strong public opposition, with many Fijians already struggling with rising food and transport costs.

Mr Rabuka said the Fijian Competition and Consumer Commission (FCCC) was working closely with the Coalition Government towards a balanced decision.

“In areas where you have monopolies, government will have to be prudent in making that decision,” he said.

Fuel supply to Labasa and Nabouwalu had been restored to optimum levels, easing some pressure on EFL operations.

A final Government decision on both the surcharge and the threat of power rationing is expected within 48 hours.



Explore more on these topics