PM: We Will Help You
"All affected communities will be helped, Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama said yesterday after a high-level government briefing."
Sunday 29 December 2019 | 11:39
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and Attorney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum at a briefing at the National Disaster Management Office at Nasilivata House on December 28, 2019. Photo: DEPTFO News
All affected communities will be helped, Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama said yesterday after a high-level government briefing.
He said disaster and health officials were on the ground. He met with Attorney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum, Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Jone Usamate, NDMO Director Vasiti Soko, Acting Permanent Security for Infrastructure and Transport George Tavo, Permanent Secretary for Agriculture David Kolitagane, Acting Police Commissioner Maretino Qiolevu, first responders and key stakeholders at Nasilivata House in Suva.
So far, 51 evacuations centres with 2121 people were active.
Related stories
Furthermore, despite advisories, a man is missing after being swept away by flood waters in Vunidawa, Naitasiri.
Mr Bainimarama is urging the public to stay away from flooded waters.
“Move to higher grounds if possible and keep an eye on young children. We will remain vigilant until the danger has completely passed,” Mr Bainimarama said.
He said Government would take account of the total damage from TC Sarai.
The National Disaster Management Office says a storm warning remains in force for Vatulele, Kadavu and Matuku and now also in force for Moala and Totoya.
NDMO Director Vasiti Soko said: “Police are overseeing all active evacuation centres for the purpose of safety, protection and relevant DO’s will be monitoring the situation on the ground.”
Drowning
Police have confirmed that a 18-year-old student is believed to be the country’s latest drowning victim.
The student was swimming in the Baidamudamu waters in Kadavu when the incident occurred yesterday afternoon.
The student is believed to have been swept away by strong currents while swimming with friends.
The drowning death toll currently stands at 41 compared to 43 for the same period last year.
Weather
Fiji Meteorological Service director Misaele Funaki said Tropical Cyclone Sarai would not be making a loop and head back our way.
“Updated information indicated that TC Sarai is continuing to track in a south-easterly direction before it dissipates,” he said.
Edited by Naisa Koroi
Feedback: ilaijia.ravuwai@fijisun.com.fj