Police Constables Charged, Abuse Of Office Alleged

It is alleged that on Saturday, March 14, 2020, at Cumming Street, Suva the three officers raided LB Masters and in the process of the raid, the officers demanded money from the complainant.

Wednesday 01 September 2021 | 12:23

Two out of three suspended Police Constables have been charged with abuse of office for planting drugs to obtain money from a Suva businessman.

Eloni Marakeiwai Sorowaqa and Saula Musukanasa appeared before Magistrate Seini Puamau at the Magistrates Court in Suva yesterday.

Another officer, who is currently in isolation, is also alleged to have been part of the incident.

It is alleged that on Saturday, March 14, 2020, at Cumming Street, Suva the three officers raided LB Masters and in the process of the raid, the officers demanded money from the complainant.

It is alleged they succeeded by taking $1500 which was obtained by way of threat and was an arbitrary act prejudicial to the rights of the complainant.

The investigation into the alleged incident was conducted by officers from the Criminal Investigations Department and the file was forwarded to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions for independent legal advice.

The DPP had advised that all three officers be charged with abuse of office.

The two suspended officers were produced at the Suva Magistrates Court yesterday while the third officer implicated will be dealt with once released from isolation.

The charge was read in Court and given that the charge was indictable triable summarily; the election was put to both the accused persons.

Sorowaqa and Musukanasa opted to be tried in Magistrate’s Court and opted for representations by the Legal Aid Commission.

Sorowaqa and Musukanasa were granted bail in the bond sum of $5000 each with strict bail conditions of not to re-offend while on bail, not to interfere with the witnesses, not to change their place of residence, and attend court on all court dates.

The matter has been adjourned for mention on October 20 for confirmation of Legal Aid Commission’s representation and for further disclosures by the State.

Commissioner of Police

Commissioner of Police, Brigadier-General Sitiveni Qiliho said the appearance of two officers and one later, after he finished his isolation showed that the Fiji Police Force did not condone any alleged illegal activities by service personnel.

He said they will not cover up issues that should be brought to court.

“This case was well investigated and brought to court when the complaint was lodged,” he said.

“The appearance of the two officers and those who had been charged and appeared in court before for various offences and some were in prison as the result, others terminated from serving in the Force on conviction, is a good enough warning to service members that they are not to be involved in illegal activities”.

Feedbackashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj