Probe Begins into Sunken Ship, Oil Spill

Government has launched a full maritime investigation into the vessel which is spilling oil.

Friday 27 June 2025 | 12:36

Updated 08 August 2025 | 15:33 FJT

Wreck of the Lomaiviti Princess II (LP II). Photo: DEPTFO News

Wreck of the Lomaiviti Princess II (LP II). Photo: DEPTFO News

The owners of the Lomaiviti Princess II are likely to be soon the centre of an investigation surrounding the oil spill from the submerged ship in the Suva Harbour.

Government has launched a full maritime investigation into the vessel which is spilling oil.

Minister for Transport, Ro Filipe Tuisawau, ordering a formal probe to determine the cause, responsibility, and any regulatory failures.

“This incident is unacceptable. We must ensure accountability, prevent future occurrences, and protect our marine environment,” Ro Filipe said.

The LP2—a fuel-laden vessel owned by Goundar Shipping Limited (GSL)—sank earlier this month in Suva Harbour, causing a hazardous oil spill.

The minister said the case revealed potential “gross negligence” and signalled a breakdown in operational compliance.

Under Section 45 of the Maritime Transport Act 2013, the Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji (MSAF) is now authorised to appoint officers to carry out an independent investigation.

The Ministry of Environment has also begun a full chemical analysis of the spill zone to assess the scale of ecological damage and guide clean-up efforts.

“The people of Fiji deserve answers,” Ro Filipe said.

“We cannot allow any operator to neglect his duties and put our ports, marine life, and public at risk. Vessel owners must be held accountable when they fail to act.”

He warned that Government would not tolerate breaches of maritime or environmental laws.

Feedback: kaneta.naimatau@fijisun.com.fj