Ra man is latest road fatality

Police Director Traffic, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Mitieli Divuana said Niqara was a passenger with two others in a vehicle driven by a 28-year-old man. 

Thursday 05 September 2024 | 17:18

Deceased Setoki Niqara.

Deceased Setoki Niqara.

Fiji’s road death toll has reached 38 this year, compared to 62 during the same period last year, following a recent accident.

Setoki Niqara, 27, from Nailuva Village, Ra, died on Tuesday morning in a crash along the Kings Highway between Nalawa, Ra, and Rakiraki Town.

Police Director Traffic, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Mitieli Divuana said Niqara was a passenger with two others in a vehicle driven by a 28-year-old man.

It is alleged that while the four were heading from Rakiraki to Nalawa, the driver failed to negotiate a bend, causing the vehicle to veer-off the road and crashed into a roadside market.

SSP Divuana said all occupants were rushed to the Rakiraki Hospital where Niqara was pronounced dead.

“The suspect and one of the passengers were treated and discharged, while the second passenger was transferred to the Lautoka Hospital.”

The victim is the youngest of five siblings. He lived with his family in Rakiraki Town.

His elder sister, Kelera Ragidrau described him as a humble and kind-hearted person.

“It hurt us so much when we hear about his death, especially our parents. He was a very obedient man. I miss my brother,” she said.

SSP Divuana said investigations continued.

Feedback: mereleki.nai@fijisun.com.fj