Rabuka Hints Inquiry

Mr Rabuka, as chair of the Constitutional Offices Commision has yet to receive Ms Malimali’s resignation letter from the Electoral Commission, 10 days after her FICAC appointment.

Monday 16 September 2024 | 12:12

Prime Minister and COC Chairperson Sitiveni Rabuka. Photo: Ronald Kumar

Prime Minister and COC Chairperson Sitiveni Rabuka. Photo: Ronald Kumar

Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka has hinted of an independent board of inquiry to investigate the controversy surrounding the appointment of the Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC) Commissioner Barbara Malimali.

But the move will depend on advice or consultation the Prime Minister receives from his advisors-both within and outside cabinet.

Ms Malimali's appointment as Commissioner of FICAC has received wide criticisms after she was appointed to the role even though she was being investigated by FICAC as chairperson of the Electoral Commission.

Political and legal commentators have also questioned the timing of her appointment, just as Deputy Prime Minister Biman Prasad was due to be charged by the corruption watchdog.

Former Acting Deputy Commissioner of FICAC Francis Pulewai confirmed that a formal notification to charge Mr Prasad had already gone out to the Prime Minister and Minister for Justice Siromi Turaga just a day before Ms Malimali was appointed.

Mr Prasad was due to be charged with allegations of failure to declare all his assets, income, and liabilities before the last election.

The charges have been put on hold since the appointment of Ms Malimali.

Earlier, Mr Rabuka said that any cabinet minister who face charges, will move to the backbench like former Minister for Fisheries, Kalaveti Ravu.

Former Prime Minister Mahendra Chaudhry called on the Prime Minister to step in and intervene to protect the integrity and independence of the institution.

Mr Rabuka, as chair of the Constitutional Offices Commision has yet to receive Ms Malimali’s resignation letter from the Electoral Commission, 10 days after her FICAC appointment.

When asked if he would initiate an independent board of inquiry or tribunal to address the issue that has been criticized as ‘an assault on the independence of FICAC’, Mr Rabuka said: “If it is allowed for, then we will go ahead.”

“I will need to be advised or if I may have to consult outside of the ambit of cabinet then I will do so.”

Meanwhile, a petition on Ms Malimali’s removal has also been making its rounds as the issue of her appointment exacerbates.

Feedback: waisean@fijisun.com.fj