Rabuka holds ground amid Chaudhry's call for impartiality

"It will have to be urgent, and it will have to cover all those areas and terms of refer­ence," he said.

Tuesday 01 October 2024 | 11:29

Prime Minisiter Sitiveni Rabuka. Photo: Leon Lord

Prime Minisiter Sitiveni Rabuka. Photo: Leon Lord

The head of the Fiji Independ­ent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC) does not need to step down while the Com­mission of lnquiry into her appoint­ment is ongoing, says Prime Minis­ter Sitiveni Rabuka.

In an interview outside Parliament, Mr Rabuka clarified that the process does not necessitate Barbara Malimali to step down unless she is for­mally charged.

His comments follow calls by for­mer Prime Minister Mahendra Chaudhry, who argued Ms Malimali should "step aside" to ensure the in­quiry's transparency and integrity.

"There is no two ways about it," Mr Chaudhry said, stressing the impor­tance of accountability.

Ms Malimali's appointment as FI­CAC Commissioner on September 4 has been controversial, as she was under investigation by the agency she now leads.

Despite this, Mr Rabuka noted that Ms Malimali should step down voluntarily if the inquiry finds her presence impedes the investigation.

"As a senior lawyer, she should know what's in the best interest of everyone," the PM said.

Mr Rabuka said the inquiry was the most appropriate and impartial means to ad­dress the allegations.

His remarks follows revelations made by former Acting Deputy Commissioner of FICAC, Francis Puleiwai, who alleged ministerial interference in FICAC investi­gations by current ministers.

Ms Puleiwai also highlighted that the Judicial Services Commission (JDC), re­sponsible for recommending candidates, did not contact her regarding Ms Malima­li's active investigation before making its recommendation.

Mr Rabuka said the inquiry was urgent.

"It will have to be urgent, and it will have to cover all those areas and terms of refer­ence," he said.

Mr Chaudhry also echoed the urgency, saying that if the inquiry establishes that the process was compromised to de­liver a predetermined result, "it must be trashed."

Judicial Services Commission (JDC), re­sponsible for recommending candidates, did not contact her regarding Ms Malima­li's active investigation before making its recommendation.

Mr Rabuka said the inquiry was urgent.

"It will have to be urgent, and it will have to cover all those areas and terms of refer­ence," he said.

Mr Chaudhry also echoed the urgency, saying that if the inquiry establishes that the process was compromised to de­liver a predetermined result, "it must be trashed."

He stressed the need for independent offices to operate transparently to maintain public confidence.

"There should be no exceptions to this rule of good governance," the former prime minister said.

On the separate issue of an alleged sex­ual harassment complaint against former Permanent Secretary of the Prime Min­ister's Office, Pita Wise, Mr Rabuka said further action would depend on the com­plainant's decision.

Mr Wise resigned last week citing per­sonal reasons.

Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj