Returning Seasonal Workers Leave for New Zealand

The Ministry was working towards having a Liaison Officer in New Zealand and Australia under the seasonal work scheme and programme to establish productive inter-stakeholder’s relationships with Fiji

Monday 25 March 2019 | 09:00

The Ovalau Returning Seasonal workers with the Permanent Secretary for Emplyoment, Productivity and Industrial Osea Cawaru (seated, second from left) and officials. Photo: DEPTFO News

The Ovalau Returning Seasonal workers with the Permanent Secretary for Emplyoment, Productivity and Industrial Osea Cawaru (seated, second from left) and officials. Photo: DEPTFO News

Nineteen (19) seasonal work­ers from Ovalau Island returned to work for em­ployers Bostock New Zealand and Vinepower Limited.

This is under the Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) Work Scheme in New Zealand.

These returning seasonal work­ers will be working for a period of seven months.

During the first three months they will be engaged in apple picking with Bostock New Zealand in Hast­ing City, North Island.

They will complete the remaining four months with Vinepower Ltd in Bleinhem Town, South Island pruning vineyard field.

The Permanent Secretary for Em­ployment, Productivity and Indus­trial Relations Osea Cawaru while closing the Pre-Departure Orienta­tion earlier last week in Levuka, thanked the group for their com­mitment and dedication in build­ing and maintaining good relation­ships with the employer and their co-workers.

“Congratulations on your achievement and I also thank your individual families, the ‘Lotu’ and ‘Vanua’ for their support,” Mr Ca­waru said.

“Without your commitment, the Government will not be able to ful­ly roll-out this initiative in improv­ing living standards for all Fijians.

“You must set clear goals and work towards it.

“Maintain your good work perfor­mance because this will open up more employment opportunities for other Fijians.”

Ovalau Team Leader Sitiveni So­vakowaqawai, who is also the Tur­aga-ni-Koro for Taviya Village of Tikina Bureta said: “We are indeed so grateful with the employers for the opportunity given last year and again for putting their trust in us for another chance to work under the scheme this year.

“I also thank the Fijian Govern­ment for this employment opportu­nity and as an unemployed Fijian residing in the isolated rural com­munity, to be employed for overseas employment is a dream come true.”

To strengthen the commitment and dedication of the workers to­wards this Government initiative, the Pre-Departure Orientation was conducted with the presence of the ‘Vanua’, the ‘Lotu’ and spouses of the workers is the first for this ini­tiative.

Through this, the ‘Vanua’ has shown their support and also as­sured that their workers will deliv­er as required by the Government of the day for the successful roll-out of the seasonal work initiative.

Mr Cawaru further highlighted that the Ministry was working to­wards having a Liaison Officer in New Zealand and Australia under the seasonal work scheme and pro­gramme to establish productive inter-stakeholder relationships with Fiji.

This will secure more employment opportunities for Fijian and at the same to market Fiji’s workforce to recognised seasonal employers as a source of reliable seasonal labour and ensuring the sustainability of the scheme and programme.

Feedback: jyotip@fijisun.com.fj