Road Hump Request After Second Saweni Road Accident In A Week
They should put a road hump where the tramline is, because this is very dangerous. Nowadays we see people overtaking when they drive past and imagine if kids were walking there; they should put one road hump there so drivers can slow down
Tuesday 05 October 2021 | 14:58
From left: Fastfood eatery owner Darmendra Kumar with Carwash owner Duna Kumar stands where the Minivan had previously been during the accident on October 3, 2021 in Saweni, Lautoka. Photo: Salote Qalubau
Carwash outlet owner, Duna Kumar, is requesting a road hump to be placed on the tramline in Saweni, Lautoka, after a road accident occurred in front of his carwash outlet on Sunday morning. This is the second road accident there in a week.
The first road accident occurred last Tuesday involving a neighbouring fast-food eatery owner.
Mr Kumar said the second accident involved a minibus travelling towards Nadi which allegedly veered off the road and spun around before landing on the side of the road near his carwash outlet. He said there were only two occupants in the vehicle.
Related stories
“My van was parked here and I came to open it but I met him (his neighbour) and we started telling stories, but then we heard the van speed and it spun around and it hit the passenger side,” he said.
“One man was injured; I saw his head was swollen and the back of his ear was injured.”
He said when Police arrived, two remained at the scene of the accident, while another two transported the injured passenger to the Lautoka hospital. The Police took the driver.
“They should put a road hump where the tramline is, because this is very dangerous. Nowadays we see people overtaking when they drive past and imagine if kids were walking there; they should put one road hump there so drivers can slow down,” Mr Kumar said.
Viti Mini Bus Drivers Association President Bola Saumata said the accident did not involve a Viti Mini Bus as initially stated on social media.
“No it wasn’t one of ours. The general perception is if any minibus gets into an accident then it was us, but that is not the case and I want that to be clarified,” he said.
Police Media officer Wame Bautolu confirmed the incident involved two occupants and that no serious injuries were sustained by either of the two.
Feedback: salote.qalubau@fijisun.com.fj