Security Officer Faces Murder Charge For Death Of Nanise Rovovanua

Police prosecutor Luke Qerewaqa told the court that the first phase of disclosures had been served, while the second phase was pending due to some outstanding documents.

Wednesday 14 June 2023 | 09:51

Murder accused Joni Raciri outside the Magistrates Court in Suva on June 13, 2023. Photo: Ashna Kumar

Murder accused Joni Raciri outside the Magistrates Court in Suva on June 13, 2023. Photo: Ashna Kumar

A security officer accused of murdering Nanise Rovovanua, 21, appeared before Chief Magistrate Waleen George yesterday.

The alleged incident took place on June 6 between 8 and 9pm at a property in Bayview Heights, Suva.

Joni Raciri, a 49-year-old is charged with one count of murder and one count of act intended to cause grievous harm.

The charges were read to the accused in iTaukei language to which he responded to have understood.

He opted to be represented by the Legal Aid Commission.

Police prosecutor Luke Qerewaqa told the court that the first phase of disclosures had been served, while the second phase was pending due to some outstanding documents.

He said there was no known relationship between Raciri, the deceased Nanise Rovovanua, and Setaita Rasea, who was allegedly harm during the incident.

Chief Magistrate George questioned the accused whether he had any medical conditions preventing him from being remanded at the Suva Remand Centre to which he responded ‘No’.

Considering the gravity of the charges, Chief Magistrate George transferred the case to the High Court in Suva.

Raciri’s bail application was denied, and he was informed of his rights regarding alibi evidence, with the option to file an alibi application in the High Court. The first hearing in the High Court is scheduled for June 27.

Story by: ashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj