Sickly Man Lives In Cyclone Fear, Requests Help To Rebuild House

The desperate Mr Sukace also suffers from Diabetes Mellitus Type two and Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) also known as prostate gland enlargement, where the enlarged gland blocks the flow of urine out of the bladder.

Tuesday 05 October 2021 | 14:54

Leone Sukace, 70, at his home which was  destroyed by Tropical Cyclone Yasa in Labasa.   Photo: Sampras Anand

Leone Sukace, 70, at his home which was destroyed by Tropical Cyclone Yasa in Labasa. Photo: Sampras Anand

A 70-year-old, medically challenged man from Wailevu Village in Labasa, says he lives in constant fear of being the victim of another cyclone. This is especially true with the new cyclone season approaching.

Leone Sukace lives alone at his residence after separating from his wife and children 15 years ago.

Mr Sukace said during Tropical Cyclone Yasa last year, his house was severely damaged. This left large sections of his interior building sustaining cracks to the walls, ceiling, door, windows and flooring.

“I am currently cooking in a small room after the kitchen was destroyed and was sleeping in the only room that survived the damages,” he said.

Mr Sukace said despite being a social welfare recipient, he continues to struggle with catering for his basic food needs and other necessary expenses.

The desperate Mr Sukace also suffers from Diabetes Mellitus Type two and Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) also known as prostate gland enlargement, where the enlarged gland blocks the flow of urine out of the bladder.

He said his medical condition has made life difficult since he is now unable to carry out basic household chores.

Mr Sukace is requesting business houses, non-government organisations and the members of the public to lend a hand in rebuilding his property either construction supplies, manpower and monetary assistance.

For people willing to assist, Mr Sukace can be contacted by phone on 712-5945 or on 284-8418.