Stay Home To Make Our Work Easier: Dr Sahukhan
Dr Sahukhan made the statement as the Ministry of Health and Medical Services scaled up its testing in the Lautoka and Nadi screening zone, Cunningham and Caubati areas yesterday.
Monday 26 April 2021 | 09:04
From left: Ministry of Health and Medical Services head of Health Protection Services Dr Aalisha Sahukhan, World Health Organisation (WHO) Team Coordinator Pacific Health Dr Akeem Ali, Permanent Secretary for Health and Medical Services Dr James Fong and sign language interpreter Claudette Wilson during the nationwide address in Suva on April 25, 2021. Photo: Leon Lord
On behalf of all healthcare workers, I plead with the members of the public to please stay home.
This was the impassioned plea by Dr Aalisha Sahukhan.
Dr Sahukhan made the statement as the Ministry of Health and Medical Services scaled up its testing in the Lautoka and Nadi screening zone, Cunningham and Caubati areas yesterday.
Related stories
She said it would make work easier for the screening teams if Fijians chose to stay home and be screened.
Members of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces and the team from the Ministry of Health braved the sunshine yesterday to carry out screenings in these areas.
Sailasa Sauqaqa and Serei Vakawaletabua are among the group of Fijians who have been sacrificing their time to achieve the target in the door to door screening.
The two are part of the more than 30 teams deployed last week in the Nadi - Lautoka containment area.
Ba Provincial office staff, Sauqaqa said: “This is an important job to be at this time due to the pandemic.”
“The nation needs us in this fight too and we are very supportive and meeting people.”
Vakawaletabua, a staff at the Commissioner Western’s Office said: “Sacrifices are part and parcel of our life and here we are in this serious business. We have to abide with what is put in place by the authorities and I do enjoy this work.”
Delaisaweni resident Mohammed Nur, 70 thanked the team for the work it had carried out.
“I have been waiting for some time for someone to check me and assure me that I am fine,” he said.
“Hats off to this team for coming from their various departments and to join the fight in keeping Fiji safe.”
- Lami Containment Area - Wainadoi to Tamavua-i-Wai
- Suva Containment Area - Tamavua-i-Wai to Rups Nakasi Bridge
- Nausori Containment Area - Rups Nakasi Bridge to Logani Village on the Kings Road
- The above was established after a woman from Makoi was tested positive with COVID-19
- This new case is classified as a potential community transmission
- The new case is one of four new cases recorded by Ministry of Health & Medical Services
- All non-essential services in these areas will be closed
- Nadi and Lautoka are now separate containment areas
Edited by Selita Rabuku
Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj
- To read Dr James Fong's statement: New Containment Areas Set: Dr Fong