Stoning Incidents Halt Labasa Buses

Mr Chand confirmed his company would now suspend services after 5:30pm to Batinikama and Savusavutaga until safety improves.

Monday 23 June 2025 | 00:10

Updated 08 August 2025 | 15:34 FJT

The Labasa bus bay.

The Labasa bus bay.

Evening bus services on two key routes in Labasa could stop from today, following repeated stoning attacks on buses.

Operators say the decision comes amid claims of police failure to act on reports, leaving drivers fearing for their lives and safety.

The move is expected to hit working families the hardest. Many rely on affordable evening buses to get home from work or market stalls.

Without the service, they will face higher transport costs or long delays, with some having no choice but to walk long distances.

Dalip Chand and Son Pte Limited managing director, Rohinil Chand, said the company had reported two stoning incidents to

Labasa Police Station within the last fortnight. Both attacks happened after 5:30pm, with drivers fearing for their safety.

Mr Chand said two weeks ago, a driver was returning from Batinikama around 6pm when the bus was hit by stones, smashing a side window.

“The driver was shaken. His safety was at risk, so he filed a report at the police station,” he said.

Despite no feedback from police, the company continued to run the route.

But last Friday, another driver was targeted in Savusavutaga, with the back window shattered by what Mr Chand said were students.

“I personally went to the station with my driver. Enough is enough—we can’t keep putting our staff in danger,” he said.

Mr Chand confirmed his company would now suspend services after 5:30pm to Batinikama and Savusavutaga until safety improves.

“Someone must take responsibility. I don’t want to see a family lose a father or husband just because of a bus route,” he said.

He said repairs had cost the company dearly, with no support from those causing the damage.

Similar attacks on other operators

Parmod Enterprises Pte Limited, the other major bus company in Labasa, reported similar problems .

Director Parmod Chand said one of their parked buses in Naleba was recently damaged by stoning.

In another case, a drunk passenger on the Dreketi route smashed a window and left without informing the driver.

“Incidents like these do a lot of harm. We’re trying to serve the public, but the damage continues,” Mr Chand said.

He added that complaints had been made to police, but no updates were received.

Police response

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro confirmed receiving two official complaints from Dalip Chand and Son Pte Limited.

She said the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) was looking into the cases, and a task force had been assigned.

The Fiji Bus Operators Association said it was unaware of the incidents but would comment today.

Feedback: shratikan@fijisun.com.fj