System In Place For Transfer Of Goods Across Borders: Ministry
“We will look into the different types of goods that will need to be transferred and we will make decisions thereafter for its safe transfer at the borders of the containment areas,” Dr Fong.
Tuesday 20 April 2021 | 10:00
Permanent Secretary for the Ministry of Health & Medical Services, Dr. James Fong.
Operating procedures have been put in place for the transfer of goods to the Nadi and Lautoka containment areas.
Ministry of Health and Medical Services Permanent Secretary Dr James Fong said they were looking into minimising people entering the containment area because of the COVID-19 risks.
“It is mostly similar to what we had put in place during the last lockdown but now we are much more organised because we are anticipating these issues and we are putting together things,” Dr Fong said.
Related stories
“We are looking at passing things over at the border in most cases because if they have to cross over they will engage with the community.
“We will look into the different types of goods that will need to be transferred and we will make decisions thereafter for its safe transfer at the borders of the containment areas.”
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama said the Government was also making arrangements for the safe transfer of goods.
“We are also making arrangements to ensure fresh produce, basic food items, manufactured items, and other items can be sent in and out of the containment area.
“We have managed this sort of cross-border exchange before and the Police have been instructed to be quick about these approvals so that these goods can flow as freely as possible.”
Agriculture
Meanwhile, Minister for Agriculture, Waterways and Environment Mahendra Reddy confirmed that arrangements would be done for the supplying of vegetables to COVID -19 containment areas.
He said they would also ensure that the prices of vegetables are not affected.
Response from Vendors
Banana seller at the Suva Market, Sakiusa Bure, 43, said the lockdown last year was very challenging.
“I suffered because I wasn’t able to receive the supplies of the bananas. I had to look for bananas to sell,” he said.
Mr Bure gets his bananas from Ra, Naitasiri, Nadroga and Navosa.
He has been selling bananas at the Suva Market for the past 10 years.
“If the Fijian Government declares another lockdown, the prices of vegetables might increase,” he said.
Another market vendor, Rajend Sami, said if another lockdown will be declared, he would seek for a curfew pass to supply his vegetables at the borders.
Praneel Singh, 24, said there is probability that the prices of vegetable would increase.
“We do not have any option but to sell the vegetables at the higher prices,” he said.
“Last year during the lockdown, we did not get vegetable supplies. I sold the vegetables I had at a higher price because it was difficult to get the stock,” he said.
Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj