Tell the Truth: Rabuka
PM claims he is a victim of Speight's silence over those behind the 2000 coup plot
Tuesday 24 September 2024 | 14:39
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka is calling on George Speight, the 2000 coup frontman, to reveal the truth about those involved in the coup's orchestration.
In a media interview yesterday, Mr Rabuka said speculation has long linked him to the 2000 coup and the mutiny at the Republic of Fiji Military Forces' Queen Elizabeth Barracks in Nabua, despite his consistent denials.
He said Speight's silence had left him a victim for years.
Related stories
"We want him to tell the truth," Mr Rabuka said.
"I am one of those who have been victims of his silence."
He clarified that Mr Speight's silence had prevented him from being cleared of his alleged involvement in the 2000 coup.
During his sentencing in February 2002, Mr Speight hinted he wasn’t acting alone.
He told the media that if the police had thoroughly investigated, he “would be in very distinguished company on Nukulau, not only in numbers but in names as well” (Daily Post, 19/02/2002).
Last Thursday, Mr Speight and former Counter Revolutionary Warfare Unit captain, Shane Stevens, were granted presidential pardons.
Mr Speight, convicted of treason and initially sentenced to death, had his sentence commuted to life imprisonment. He served 24 years, including time on Nukulau Island and at the Naboro Corrections complex.
The Prime Minister also highlighted Mr Speight’s release as pivotal to the coalition Government’s truth and reconciliation efforts.
Former Prime Minister Mahendra Chaudhry, who was held hostage during the 2000 coup, echoed these calls last week, saying Mr Speight must disclose the real instigators.
“If George Speight is truly contrite about the devastation caused, the least he can do is reveal the truth,” Mr Chaudhry said.
He maintained that Mr Speight was never the true leader behind the events.
Unity Fiji leader Savenaca Narube also stressed Mr Speight’s release was timely for revealing the coup’s masterminds.
He hoped the truth and reconciliation process would be politically neutral, focusing on both victims and perpetrators.
“For this process to succeed, the truth must prevail,” Mr Narube said, adding that Mr Speight had paid the price for his actions, unlike others involved who remain unpunished.
Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj