Tribunal date for Pryde postponed

“I have been advised that the proposed tribunal hearing dates of 19 to 31 August 2024 have been vacated,” Mr Pryde said.

Friday 16 August 2024 | 11:25

Director of Public Prosecutions Christopher Pryde.

Director of Public Prosecutions Christopher Pryde.

Suspended Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Christopher Pryde has expressed his discontent over the postponement of the proposed tribunal hearing date for his case.

In a media release last month, Judicial Service Commission (JSC) Acting Chief Justice and Chairman of the JSC, Jalesi Temo, revealed that Mr Pryde had been put on notice of the intended hearing date.

The hearing date was scheduled from next Monday until August 30.

Yesterday afternoon, Mr Pryde indicated that he had been advised the intended hearing date has been postponed.

“I have been advised that the proposed tribunal hearing dates of 19 to 31 August 2024 have been vacated,” Mr Pryde said.

“I am very disappointed that the tribunal of three judges that has been constituted to hear the allegation against me still has not provided me with the disclosures I need to properly understand the charge against me in relation to the superannuation.”

Mr Pryde was suspended as DPP last April, over what he described as an ‘ostensibly for being seen talking to the former A-G at an official function.’

He said a year later the JSC added a charge of being overpaid superannuation which he has denied.

“I am dismayed that I have still not received the required disclosures and the tribunal is yet to set a hearing date and that my salary continues to be suspended five weeks after the Prime Minister said that it should continue to be paid,” Mr Pryde said.

“This matter is soon to enter its 17th month with no resolution and with the JSC refusing to discuss the issue of the unilateral suspension of my salary.”

This masthead has reached out to the JSC and is awaiting a response.

Feedback: jone.salusalu@fijisun.com.fj