Tudravu Told Matavou To Stop Investigation

Mr Matavou is the fourth State witness in the trial of former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and suspended Police Commissioner, Brigadier-General Sitiveni Qiliho.

Friday 21 July 2023 | 14:56

Retired Police officer Biu Matavou outside Court on July 20, 2023. Photo: Ronald Kumar

Retired Police officer Biu Matavou outside Court on July 20, 2023. Photo: Ronald Kumar

Former Chief of Intelligence and Investigations, ACP Biu Matavou, testified that he received a call from then Acting Commissioner of Police, Rusiate Tudravu, to stop Police investigations relating to the University of the South Pacific.

Mr Matavou is the fourth State witness in the trial of former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and suspended Police Commissioner, Brigadier-General Sitiveni Qiliho.

Bainimarama and Qiliho are charged in relation to the termination of a police investigation relating to the USP in July 2019.

They appeared before Magistrate Seini Puamau for the fourth day of trial represented by R Patel Lawyers Devanesh Sharma and Gul Fatima.

The State is represented by Acting Director of Public Prosecutions David Toganivalu and Counsel Nimisha Shankar.

The Charges: 

Bainimarama is charged with attempted to pervert the course of justice. It is alleged that sometime between July 2020 and September 2020 Bainimarama attempted to pervert the course of justice by telling the suspended COMPOL, Sitiveni Qiliho to stay away from the USP investigations that was reported on July 12, 2019.

Qiliho is charged with abuse of office. It is alleged that Qiliho on July 15, 2020 as COMPOL directed the director CID Serupepli Neiko and Inspector Reshmi Dass to stop investigations into the Police complaint involving CID/HQ PEP 12/07/2019.

Trial day 4: 

Mr Matavou said he was called by Mr Tudravu for a briefing on the investigations to present to the National Security Council.

He called the then director of CID, Senior Superintendent of Police Serupepeli Neiko to bring the Police docket and investigation file.

He told Mr Tudravu the investigation was still underway and that four to five suspects were on the list.

Mr Tudravu called him and spoke in iTaukei language.

Mr Tudravu told Mr Matavou he had been advised to stop the investigation. Mr Matavou enquired about who gave that directive, to which Mr Tudravu replied saying the PM.

Following this, Mr Matavou called the director CID to stop investigations.

Cross Examination: 

Mr Sharma asked the witness if the director CID was responsible for endorsing the closing of the file. Mr Matavou said yes.

On the process following the director CID’s endorsement, Mr Matavou said the file would be kept for five years in archives.

Mr Sharma asked if the director CID was obliged to seek endorsement from higher authorities before the decision to close file. Mr Matavou said no.

Mr Sharma asked the witness what he did after Mr Tudravu called him from the meeting.

Mr Matavou said he called the director CID and advised of the directive from the PM.

Mr Sharma asked if instructions to the director CID were in the minutes of the police docket.

Mr Matavou said no because it was a verbal conversation and that he never followed up.

Mr Sharma asked the witness if he was aware that investigating officer Reshmi Dass continued to interview witnesses in the case in October 2020. Mr Matavou could not recall.

The investigation was closed on January 6, 2022 as endorsed by the director CID.

Mr Sharma questioned if there was no closure of the file on July 15, 2020 following the alleged directive from the PM. Mr Matavou said no.

Police continued the investigation until it was closed on January 6, 2022.

Mr Sharma questioned the witness if he had spoken to any members of the National Security Council following the conversation with Mr Tudravu. Mr Matavou said no.

To read more, click on this link to access the full article and details: https://eedition.fijisun.com.fj/subscriptionplans 

Story by: ashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj