Two Complaints Received Against FijFirst
“The complaint is under our complaint process; I can’t elaborate more on it but once we receive correspondence from the FijiFirst we will see our next course of action. That is the normal procedure.”
Thursday 22 June 2023 | 13:16
Acting Supervisor of Elections Ana Mataiciwa says the Fijian Elections Office has received two complaints alleging non-declaration of assets by the FijiFirst political party.
Ms Mataiciwa said in line with the FEO’s internal processes they had written to FijiFirst to respond these complaints.
She said one of the complaints was lodged last week and the other one lodged earlier this week.
Related stories
“We wrote to the FijiFirst on June 19 and we are awaiting its response which will determine our next course of action,” Ms Mataiciwa said.
“The complaint is actually with regards to the accounts that were published by the FEO in our website.
“The complaint is under our complaint process; I can’t elaborate more on it but once we receive correspondence from the FijiFirst we will see our next course of action. That is the normal procedure.”
She added the complaint was not on an individual in the party but on the party as a whole.
“For any complaints we receive, what we normally do for natural justice to take place, we give time for FijiFirst to response and that will determine should we escalate to FICAC or something we can just close,” Ms Mataiciwa said.
“The role of the Registrar of Political parties in this case the acting is that we just have to receive the audited accounts, ensure it is audited by a charted accountant and we publish it.
“After that, if anyone inspects the account and complains then they can lodge it with us.”
When contacted last night Leader of Opposition and FijiFirst member Inia Seruiratu referred all queries to the FijiFirst general secretary Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum.
Mr Sayed-Khaiyum could not be reached for a comment when this edition went to press.
Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj