Two Policemen Bailed
Two police officers charged with the attempted rape of a colleague last week were grated bail by the Labasa Magistrates Court.
Tuesday 25 July 2023 | 10:25
From left: Accused Kaushik Rattan and Shivnesh Kumar with their lawyer, Ami Kohli outside the Labasa Magistrates Court, Labasa on July 24, 2023.
Two police officers charged with the attempted rape of a colleague last week were grated bail by the Labasa Magistrates Court.
Kaushik Dip Rattan, 28, and Shivnesh Kumar, 22, appeared before Magistrate Bimsara Jagodage yesterday.
Magistrate Jagodage considered the bail act condition of “every accused person has the right to be bailed”.
Related stories
The court also considered the best interest of accused persons.
He ordered strict bail conditions where the accused would have to stay 500 metres away from the victim. As per bail condition, both accused would reside at Malawai, Dreketi while the victim would stay at Solove, Seaqaqa.
Both accused were released on $500 bail bond.
Other bail conditions include accused persons not to reoffend, no contact with the victim until the case is disposed and not to apply for a passport.
Kohli and Singh Associates, Lawyer, Ami Kohli represented the second accused, Kumar, in this matter and acted as the representative for first accused, Rattan.
Mr Kohli presented the court of two sureties for each of the accused person.
He had presented many bail releasing conditions including during the bail hearing last Friday, relocation, wife eight months pregnant needing father’s support.
Mr Kohli said his client had no previous criminal convictions and did not hold a passport.
He assured the court that his client would not reoffend.
Second counsel, Mr Sen, had argued last Friday that the offence was not as serious as a matter of attempted murder, rape or murder.
He said examining the medical report of the victim, there was no material evidence to indicate the allegation.
From the affidavit presented by prosecution, accused one, Rattan, was on duty with the victim. State prosecutor, Constable Ashwin Sami said second accused, Kumar, was off-duty.
During bail hearing last Friday, Mr Sen and Mr Kohli said the bail of their clients would help to avoid further stimigatisation from the community and public.
The matter is adjourned to September 25 for plea.
Story By: Sampras Anand
Feedback: sampras.anad@fijisun.com.fj