United Nations Rep Praise Fiji’s Efforts
Mr Samarasinha said the adherence to advisory and the proactive approach by the Government led to the safety of the masses.
Sunday 20 December 2020 | 09:27
Government ministerial team led by the Attorney-General and Minister for Economy Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum at Dreketi, Macuata on December 19, 2020. They flew into Labasa on Friday as soon as Labasa Airport reopened. Photo: Shalveen Chand
The Government’s response and the Fijian people’s adherence to advisory was praised by the United Nations resident coordinator, Sanaka Samarasinha.
Mr Samarasinha joined the Government ministerial team on Thursday and since then toured areas impacted by Cyclone Yasa.
The category five cyclone rampaged through Vanua Levu and left a trail of destruction.
Related stories
It also claimed four lives.
Mr Samarasinha said the adherence to advisory and the proactive approach by the Government led to the safety of the masses.
“The ideal thing would be to have no lives lost but unfortunately four were lost,” he said.
“Structures can be rebuilt but the same cannot be said for lives.”
Mr Samarasinha said with rebuilding there had to be resilience.
He said the focus should be in helping people-built homes which would be able to survive future storms.
He said the UN in Fiji would be helping out, focusing on providing water tanks and tents in areas affected.
He said some relief packages would be delivered once the sea routes were permitted and there would be items arriving from abroad.
He added United Nations Children’s Fund would be playing a key role as well.
Cyclone Yasa had not only impacted people economically but many had been traumatised as well.