Victim's Father Wants Justice Against Bully on Viral Video
The incident happened on February 9 at the Nadi Bus Stand where a group of boys ganged up and assaulted the Year 11 student.
Tuesday 20 February 2024 | 20:21
The viral video that has been circulating on Facebook, where a Nadi student assaulting another student in Nadi. Photo: FB screenshot
A man whose 15-year-old son was bullied says he wants to see the perpetrators face the full brunt of the law.
Saiyad Shah, 62, expressed concern about a viral social media video showing a bullying incident involving Nadi school students.
The incident happened on February 9 at the Nadi Bus Stand where a group of boys ganged up and assaulted the Year 11 student.
Related stories
Mr Shah said the incident involving his son was not the first time.
However, this time it had escalated into a dangerous situation.
He claimed the boys were involved in drug use and would intentionally expose the younger boys’ eyes to vapours.
Father Saiyad Shah at his home in Votualevu, Nadi. Photo: Waisea Nasokia
Since then, only two students have been expelled and were accepted by two well-respected schools. Police in a statement said the case was under investigation.
“A report was lodged at the Nadi Police Station yesterday, and the suspect was brought in for questioning,” the statement said.
“Nadi Police will question the student again as investigations continue.”
Ministry of Education
The Ministry of Education confirmed that immediate action was taken by the Head of School with the support of the Divisional Education Officer Western to address and manage the situation.
The ministry stated that disciplinary measures have been implemented.
“The Education Minister and Permanent Secretary condemn such acts of bullying and physical assault.
“The safety and well-being of our students should always be paramount in and out of school, and any form of physical abuse or violence will not be tolerated,” it said.
Following the ministry’s Behaviour Management Policy, students are encouraged to understand and follow the guidelines provided.
This policy focuses on handling student misbehaviour and maintaining discipline in schools.
“The Ministry of Education stresses the importance of creating a positive and respectful atmosphere for learning, ensuring that every student feels safe and secure.
It is crucial for students to understand the impact of their actions and to strive to treat others with respect and kindness at all times.
“All students, parents, and guardians are reminded of the ministry’s strong stance against physical assault and bullying. Such actions not only violate the rights of others but also disrupt the core principles of a safe and welcoming learning environment.
“The ministry remains steadfast in its commitment to promoting a safe and inclusive learning environment for all students.
“We will continue to take proactive measures to address incidents of bullying and violence, ensuring that every student is safe and their well-being is prioritised.”
Police
The 15-year old student seen in a viral video assaulting another student in Nadi has been charged.
The accused has been charged with one count of Assault Causing Actual Bodily Harm.
He will be produced at the Nadi Magistrates Court today.
Feedback: waisean@fijisun.com.fj
https://poll.app.do/embed/government-ministers-illicit-drugs