Vugalei Murder Accused Granted Bail

State prosecutor Tevita Naimila said the caution interview needed to be translated before it could be provided to both lawyers.

Tuesday 30 January 2024 | 13:24

Murder accused, Inoke Qalo Loloma outside the High Court in Suva on January 29, 2024. Photo: Beranadeta Nagatalevu

Murder accused, Inoke Qalo Loloma outside the High Court in Suva on January 29, 2024. Photo: Beranadeta Nagatalevu

Vugalei murder accused Inoke Qalo Loloma was granted bail yesterday after appearing before Judge Justice Thushara Rajasinghe at the High Court in Suva.

Loloma is charged with one count of murder after he allegedly punched a 43-year-old man during a drinking party on Christmas Eve last year at Vugalei in Lami.

The court heard that the State prosecution needed further time to file disclosures as it had not received a copy of the caution interview and the post-mortem results.

State prosecutor Tevita Naimila said the caution interview needed to be translated before it could be provided to both lawyers.

Mr Naimila was informed by the doctor in charge of the post-mortem that results would be received in two days at the latest.

To date, the prosecution only has statements and photos of the venue where the alleged incident happened.

Defence lawyer Susan Serukai agreed with the prosecution and suggested they required more time to review the caution interview and cross-check with police records.

Paid Advertisement | January 2024

Paid Advertisement | January 2024

Ms Serukai told the court that they had two complaints that they needed to mention in court.

These included the fact that the accused’s family members were not allowed to visit Loloma at the Lami Police Station when he was taken, and that they were misled by Police officers about his legal representation with the Legal Aid Commission when the questioning was done. Ms Serukai said this was not the case.

Judge Rajasinghe approved Loloma’s two sureties and bailed him on a non- cash bail of $500.

He also approved more time for both lawyers to file disclosures and adjourned the matter to February 27 for mention.

Feedback: Beranadeta@fijisun.com.fj

https://poll.app.do/embed/government-ministers-illicit-drugs