'We Were Lucky' Says Governor Of Quake-Hit PNG Province

The governor of the Papua New Guinea province worst-hit by last week’s earthquake feared the death toll was going to be much higher.

Friday 14 April 2023 | 18:15

Over 800 houses were destroyed after a magnitude-7.0 earthquake struck PNG’s East Sepik province on April 4.

Over 800 houses were destroyed after a magnitude-7.0 earthquake struck PNG’s East Sepik province on April 4.

The governor of the Papua New Guinea province worst-hit by last week’s earthquake feared the death toll was going to be much higher.

Eight people are confirmed dead after the magnitude 7.0 earth­quake struck East Sepik at around 4am on Monday last week.

The epicentre hit Chambri Lake, about 100km south-west of Wewak at a depth of 60km.

An assessment report from the East Sepik Provincial Disaster and Emergency office said over 800 houses were destroyed.

 

To read more, click on this link to access the full article and details: https://eedition.fijisun.com.fj/subscriptionplans

Source: RNZ

Feedback: fonua.talei@fijisun.com.fj