Whippy Pleads Not Guilty, Bail Set

Whippy appeared before Magistrate Sufia Hamza at the Suva Magistrate’s Court yesterday for his bail variation hearing.

Thursday 07 November 2024 | 08:44

Carpenters Fiji Limited managing director, Daniel Whippy (far right with crutches), with his family outside the Suva Magistrate’s Court on November 6, 2024. Photo: Beranadeta Nagatalevu

Carpenters Fiji Limited managing director, Daniel Whippy (far right with crutches), with his family outside the Suva Magistrate’s Court on November 6, 2024. Photo: Beranadeta Nagatalevu

Carpenters Fiji Limited managing director, Daniel Kinston Whippy, has pleaded not guilty to the charges laid against him by the Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC).

Whippy appeared before Magistrate Sufia Hamza at the Suva Magistrate’s Court yesterday for his bail variation hearing.

He faces charges of counseling the commission of an offence to amend the findings of the Fire Investigation Report related to the incident that occurred on April 8, 2018, at the Morris Hedstrom warehouse in Walu Bay, for the purpose of gain.

As of yesterday, an agreement had been reached by both parties about the unavailability of stem cell procedures in the country.

Given the circumstance, FICAC lawyer, Sera Fatafehi, told the court, in order to allow his travel, Whippy needed to satisfy four conditions. They include: 

  • The $50,000 cash bail bond that was already given to the court registry will remain there,
  • His two sureties would now be bonded on a non-cash bail bond of $20,000 each
  • His passport will be released to him before the close of business today, and;
  • However, his stop departure order would remain until the defence came back with the result of their visa application.

Ms Fatafehi told the court the reason why they objected to the bail was because there was a high chance that he would abscond bail.

She said it was important to raise the bail bond for both the accused and the sureties, so that they’re both invested in the proceeding.

Defence lawyer Stephen Stanton told the court the accused’s wife would be accompanying him.

However, if FICAC disagrees with this, they have also nominated his son as an alternative.

Ms Fatafehi confirmed that no admissions were made by Whippy during his caution interview and that both parties have agreed to have the matter heard in the Magistrate’s Court.

Whippy’s second lawyer, Suruj Sharma, told the court that an online application had been submitted; however, the passport is required for the in-person interview, and it would take approximately three weeks for the United States Embassy to process his visa application.

The matter will be heard again on November 11, at which time the stop departure order will be addressed.

Feedback: Beranadeta@fijisun.com.fj