Why $360
It is for the individuals or for families to decide where and how they should spend their money. During this challenging times we trust that Fijians will use this money wisely.
Thursday 26 August 2021 | 12:47
Acting Permanent Secretary for Economy Shiri Gounder during his nationwide address on May 4, 2021. Photo: Leon Lord
The logic behind the $360 cash unemployment assistance is to support the livelihoods of Fijians affected by COVID-19 both in the formal and in the informal sector.
This was the sentiment by Acting Permanent Secretary for Economy Shiri Gounder.
“We have provided this assistance to help Fijians buy food and grocries, pay for their electricity and water bills, support families with their house rent payments, hire purchase payments and buy any other essential items for themselves or their families.
Related stories
“The application and disbursement of this cash assistance were done through Vodafone Fiji and Digicel’s digital application platform as it is more efficient and logistically convenient under the current restrictive circumstance,” he said.
“Distributing food vouchers would have not only been a logistical nightmare but would have greatly restricted options for Fijians on where and how they could use their government assistance. Also, it would have been administratively challenging to have vouchers for rental or bill payment. It would have been just too inconvenient for both Government and for Fijians.
“As the Attorney-General and Minister for Economy has already stated, Government will not dictate how Fijians will use this money. It is for the individuals or for families to decide where and how they should spend their money. During these challenging times we trust that Fijians will use this money wisely.”
So far Government has paid over $88.2 million to more than 250,000 Fijians.
“Apart from the cash assistance we have so far also provided over 53,000 food and household packs to those Fijians in isolation and in quarantine.”
Mr Gounder said this assistance too will continue. Those in quarantine and isolation were also eligible for the $360 payment. A second round of pay-out will be done in November, which the Ministry of Economy hopes to vet and release before Diwali which falls on November 4.