‘Why We Allowed Superyacht Entry’
The thing we have that other countries do not have is quarantine waters,”
Friday 12 March 2021 | 09:29
The Ministry of Health and Medical Services has clarified why it allowed the billionaire-owned superyacht, Bold, into our quarantine waters which was disallowed entry into New Zealand ports.
Ministry’s Permanent Secretary Dr James Fong said as part of Fiji’s Blue Lane initiative, all COVID-19 restriction protocols had been observed.
New Zealand Herald reported that the yacht had a COVID-19 risk onboard.
Related stories
Dr Fong said the ministry was well aware of the risk.
The yacht, he said, was anchored in the quarantine waters under the strict supervision of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces Naval Division.
“The thing we have that other countries do not have is quarantine waters,” he said.
“So when we decide to quarantine one yacht in our waters, it’s nowhere near the bay.
“It’s very far away from the bay and we have the Republic of Fiji Military Forces Naval Division watching it.
“The quarantine bay in Denarau is very far away into the ocean and it is very well spaced up and because of that we trust we can mitigate that kind of risk.”
Dr Fong said upon arrival, a 44-year-old male crew member tested positive for COVID-19 during routine testing as part of the mandated 14-day quarantine onboard the vessel.
“The man was tested positive while in quarantine,” he said.
The man was transferred to the Isolation Ward at the Lautoka Hospital.
New Zealand Herald also reported that the owner of the yacht, billionaire German industrialist, Guido Krass, was onboard the vessel.
Feedback: waisean@fijisun.com.fj