Witness Claims Seeing Well-Dressed Man at Drug Raid Home
“Two weeks ago we saw a well-dressed man coming out of the house but it wasn’t clear if he was holding a package. We thought he was the new owner of the house.”
Tuesday 16 January 2024 | 09:21
A Police officer has been stationed at the house in Legalega, Nadi, where the three-tonne drug bust took place. Photo: Salote Qalubau
Voivoi residents in Legalega, Nadi, are still in shock after Police seized more than three tonnes of drugs believed to be methamphetamine stacked in 797 boxes from a vacant house in the area on Sunday.
The house is about a 25-minute ride from the Queens Road on Legalega Lane, past a dead end in Voivoi Subdivision, which leads to a narrow dirt road.
The timber-framed, corrugated iron structure, which looks more like a storehouse than a home, is built on concrete foundation with visible search lights and solar panels.
Related stories
Metres away, six other corrugated and timber made homes are there.
But what makes this house stand out from the rest is its ungroomed trail and surrounding.
A resident of the close-knit community, who agreed to be interviewed on the basis of anonymity, said: “We never saw anything strange happening there, a…man looked maybe in his 20s was staying there.
“But before that, the house was vacant and he told everyone living this side that he was a carpenter for that house.
“We didn’t know what actually happened, but when Police vehicles came early in the morning then we realised something was amiss.”
Another resident claimed the house was built five years ago and a family stayed there for a short period but they still lived close by.
“I returned from watching movies at my sister’s house on Sunday when I saw Police carting containers. Everyone thought there was a death there, but we found out later they found drugs,” the resident said.
“Two weeks ago we saw a well-dressed man coming out of the house but it wasn’t clear if he was holding a package. We thought he was the new owner of the house.”
Acting Commissioner of Police Juki Fong Chew said the raid was done after Police received a tip off.
A Police officer has been stationed at the house in Legalega, Nadi, where the three-tonne drug bust took place. Photo: Salote Qalubau
“For drug raids, we work on tip offs and this was one of them, but this was a huge amount and we ask the general public to alert Police whenever they suspect any drug dealings in their community,” he said.
“It can be an anonymous tip off, you can send a text message, you don’t even have to give your name.”
The Assistant Commissioner of Police Operations Livai Driu said there had been no arrests so far.
“We will continue this fight against all forms of drugs and we urge members of the public to come forward with any information, so far we have been taking suspects in, but we have not arrested anyone yet,” he said.
Feedback: salote.qalubau@fijisun.com.fj