Youths, Their Families Told To Leave Village After Breaking Bylaws
“The Police were here in the village, visited their homes and told them that they have to leave the village,”
Wednesday 14 July 2021 | 14:26
Seven youths and their families of Matawalu Village in Lautoka have been given 30 days to vacate the village after breaking a zero-tolerance rule for criminal activities within the village.
Matawalu Village headman Ananaisa Natou confirmed this yesterday.
The ultimatum came after the youths whose ages ranged from 18 to 25 allegedly damaged three vehicles and hurled vulgar language at villagers at the village a few weeks ago.
Related stories
Two have since been arrested and charged for damaging property. They have been remanded in custody.
“The Police were here in the village, visited their homes and told them that they have to leave the village,” he said.
Mr Natou said the group of youths had been committing these acts in the village for the last two to three years.
He claimed that one of them had been selling marijuana in the village for the past four years, however, no action was taken.
Decision
Mr Natou explained that the decision was based on existing village bylaws that were in effect.
“We have the village bylaws, and we are using it now as it was gazetted five years ago. Since we cannot have a village meeting yet, we are working with the bylaws that is in effect, that is, to give offenders and their families 30 days to vacate the village. In this case, they have to leave the village by the 19th of August,” he said.
“The Police, army and Roko are aware of this, and these people have been given ample time to find another place to stay. In default, then the law of immediate effect comes in and that’s when Police or the army come in.”
He said this was the only solution he saw fit to protect the village and its people.
“Now the village is quiet, and some group members have run off, but the law stands and there is zero tolerance for these actions.”