'15 Companies Could Close'
Double dipping by the Government, the likelihood of 15 companies shutting down, and a pointless deterrant over a directive from the Department of Environment, were among concerns tabled with the Minister for Lands and Mineral Resources yesterday in Suva.
Wednesday 08 March 2023 | 16:06
Mining and Quarrying Council chairman, Harvey Probert, with council member Robert Smith earlier this week in Suva. Photo: Frederica Elbourne
Double dipping by the Government, the likelihood of 15 companies shutting down, and a pointless deterrant over a directive from the Department of Environment, were among concerns tabled with the Minister for Lands and Mineral Resources yesterday in Suva.
The Mining and Quarrying Council - which exists under the Fiji Commerce and Employers Federation - met with the Ministry of Mineral Resources yesterday to table a host of concerns that it said hindered development within the sector.
Led by council chairperson Harvey Probert, the council said 15 exploration companies that held 33 special prospecting licenses, would likely shut down operations because of capital difficulties.
Related stories
To read more, click on this link to access the full article and details: https://eedition.fijisun.com.fj/subscriptionplans
Story by: frederica.elbourne@fijisun.com.fj