China Stands Ready To Protect Legitimate And Lawful Chinese Business Overseas

Earlier this month Huawei announced that it was suing the US government over a ban on its products.

Monday 25 March 2019 | 11:06

Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi

Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi

The Chinese government stands ready to protect the legitimate and lawful interests of Chinese businesses overseas, says Foreign Minister Wang Yi.

Reassurance

His reassurance came in light of a lawsuit filed in Texas by Chinese technology company Huawei against the United States government.

Claim

Earlier this month Huawei announced that it was suing the US government over a ban on its products.

They claim that the ban is unlawful, harms consumers and is unconstitutional.

Press Conference

In a press conference during the second session of the 13th National People’s Congress, the Chinese foreign minister said it is obvious to any fair and unbiased person that the recent action against Huawei is by no means a pure judicial case.

Rather it is a “deliberate political move to bring them down.”

Mr Wang said it is the bounded duty of the Chinese government to resolutely protect the legitimate and lawful interests of Chinese businesses and citizens.

“We support the company and individual in question in seeking legal redress to protect their own interests and refusing to be victimised like silent lambs,” Mr Wang said.

He said: “People can tell right and wrong and justice will have its day.

“What we are standing up for is not just the interests of the company but also a country or a nation's legitimate right to development, and by extension the basic right of all countries who wish to climb up the technology ladder.”

Safe and reliable environment

Mr Wang is hopeful that all parties involved will follow the rules, overcome prejudice, create a level playing field for the businesses of all countries and provide a safe and reliable environment for the interactions of people of all nationalities.

Feedback: fonua.talei@fijisun.com.fj