Fijian Holdings Tower opening faces another setback

FHL Tower is a 17-storey, which commenced construction six years ago, during which time the coronavirus pandemic broke to put the spanner in the works.

Thursday 28 November 2024 | 13:45

FHL Tower is currently an active construction site under the management of the main contractor.

FHL Tower is currently an active construction site under the management of the main contractor.

The opening of Fiji's first green building has been pushed back yet again, after two casualties were reported at the construction site.

Fijian Holdings Limited's flagship tower was scheduled to open next month, but has been postponed indefinitely, because of a safety hazard incident earlier this week.

On November 25, 2024, two workers sustained injuries at the FHL Tower construction site.

While FHL would not explain the nature of the incident, insiders say the casualties suffered flash burns. 17 storeys

The height of the still-tobe opened Fijian Holdings Limited Tower.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected and their families during this difficult period," the company said in a market announcement.

"FHL Tower is currently an active construction site under the management of the main contractor.

"FHL will work closely with the contractor and authorities to ensure that due process is followed."

The decision to postpone its opening - which was scheduled for this month /- reflected "our commitment to prioritising safety and ensuring the highest standards of care and responsibility", FHL said.

"We will continue to provide updates to our shareholders as more information becomes available."

FHL Tower is a 17-storey, which commenced construction six years ago, during which time the coronavirus pandemic broke to put the spanner in the works.

The group's capital raising efforts for $30 million in wholesale corporate bond was over subscribed by more than $1 million in 2022. Fijian Holdings is a fully-indigenous owned organisation.

Feedback: frederica.elbourne@fijisun.com.fj