Landowners Reject Govt Efforts

In media reports earlier this month, Lands minister Filimoni Vosarogo proposed further consultations regarding the Mt Kasi Gold Mine development.

Thursday 23 January 2025 | 16:01

Mt Kasi Gold Mine operated from 1932 to 1946 and from 1997 to 1998.

Mt Kasi Gold Mine operated from 1932 to 1946 and from 1997 to 1998.

A group of landowners have thrown out the Government's effort to further discuss developments at an old gold mine at the hands of Chinese investors.

The stern and unrelenting stance from mataqali Naveitokaki has resurfaced since former President Ratu Wiliame Katonivere stood down a second term in office.

Ratu Wiliame was the Fiji director of the Australian company Aquilo Gold which was formed in the lead up to reviving mineral resources development at Mt Kasi, Vanua Levu.

In media reports earlier this month, Lands minister Filimoni Vosarogo proposed further consultations regarding the Mt Kasi Gold Mine development.

Spokesman for the Cakaudrove clan, Emori Bukadina, said landowners maintained a clear, unwavering position through 13 meetings with government officials and Mr Vosarogo since 2019.

"On January 7, 2025, we have on national television stated our stand," Mr Bukadina said.

Although the previous Government had awarded the special prospecting licence to Vatukoula Gold Mines, landowners assert that the tender in 2020 "merely grants them the right to apply for a special prospecting license".

"It does not guarantee them operational rights," Mr Bukadina said.

"The special prospecting licence explicitly requires mataqali signatures for surface access to our land, signatures we have consistently withheld."

He said the clan's position was documented through:

  •  multiple formal meetings with successive governments,
  •  official affidavits submitted to Mineral Resources Department in September 2022 from mataqali and vanua Wailevu rejecting Vatukoula Gold Mines, and
  •  formal application objection letter lodged July 2023 with the Mineral Resources Department.

Mr Bukadina said the objection letter was not addressed by Mineral Resources Department. The ministry has also ignored queries from SunBiz.

"This is not about fears - it is about our legal rights as landowners and our clear choice of development partner," Mr Bukadina said.

"We have exercised our right to select a company that aligns with our community's vision for sustainable development.

"We call on Mr Vosarogo and the government to acknowledge our legal right to withhold surface access, and respect our choice of development partner."

Feedback: frederica.elbourne@fijisun.com.fj