Fresh twist in Constable Racagi death probe
Mr Lakoisolome urges Police to conduct a thorough investigation to ensure those responsible for Constable Racagi’s death are identified and brought to justice.
Friday 22 May 2026 | 23:30
Cop killer accused Jope Seniloli and Keni Salawai (left), after they were discharged by the High Court on May 22, 2026. Inset: The late Constable Peniasi Racagi
Photo: Ronald Kumar
Investigations into the death of Police Constable Peniasi Racagi in February this year has taken an interesting twist.
A police source has revealed that a suspended police officer is under investigation for his alleged involvement.
On Friday, the High Court in Suva discontinued the murder proceedings against Keni Salawai and Jope Seniloli after State prosecutors filed a 'nolle prosequi' indicating insufficient evidence.
The twist has reignited questions over what really happened on that fateful early Sunday morning when the late Constable Racagi was on duty alone at the Lami Police Station.
Racagi’s family has declined to comment on the latest developments.
Mr Salawai’s 64-year-old father, Epeli Lakoisolomone, was emotional after Justice Daniel Goundar formally discharged the pair.
When approached by this masthead, he said: “The truth will prevail.”
Mr Lakoisolomone believed his son was innocent but was only taken in by police because he was present close to where Constable Racagi’s body was discovered along the Lami coastline.
Mr Lakoisolome urges Police to conduct a thorough investigation to ensure those responsible for Constable Racagi’s death are identified and brought to justice.
For months, the case had gripped public attention, with speculation swirling over the circumstances surrounding Constable Racagi’s death and possible police involvement.
Following the court’s decision yesterday, Facebook erupted with the public questioning who’s the perpetrator and congratulatory comments for the pair, who walked free smiling following the court’s decision.
Police Commissioner Rusiate Tudravu, in his press conference earlier this month, said investigations of alleged police involvement were also ongoing.
Mr Lakoisolomone claimed his son was wrongly targeted simply because he happened to be near the area at the time.
“He is usually in town every day, and because he was around the area, they arrested him,” he said.
Acting Director of Public Prosecutions Nancy Tikoisuva confirmed that a nolle prosequi was filed.
However, Justice Goundar stressed that the two men were discharged, not acquitted, leaving the door wide open for fresh charges if new evidence surfaces.
Responding to media questions yesterday, Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said no comments would be made until the file was returned from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP).
“Due process was followed on the sanctioning and laying of charges with ODPP. The withdrawal of charge whilst in the judicial process is ODPP’ s call,” she said.
She reiterated the Mr Tudravu’s statement that investigations into two avenues of the officer’s death and police involvement continue.
Explore more on these topics
Advertisement
Advertise with Fiji Sun