State to oppose bail as High Court reviews 4.7kg drug case
Defence confirms earlier bail attempts were denied at the Magistrates Court.
Friday 20 February 2026 | 04:30
From left: Ratu Lote Leweivanua and Eroni Bati on February 20, 2026.
Photo: Laiseana Nasiga
The High Court in Suva is expecting formal bail applications from four men charged in relation to the alleged possession of 4.7 kilograms of methamphetamine seized last year.
Ratu Lote Leweivanua, Sevuloni Lubi, Eroni Bati and Alipate Matadigo appeared before Justice Daniel Goundar today, jointly charged.
During the proceedings, Matadigo’s lawyer, Mesake Waqanivanua, told the court that all four accused had applied for bail review twice at the Suva Magistrate Court, but both applications were denied.
Related stories
He confirmed that no review application had yet been made at the High Court.
Ratu Lote and Bati’s lawyer, Kalisito Maisamoa, informed the court they were still in the process of filing a bail review.
State Prosecutor Uce Rukalesi told the court the State would strongly oppose any bail applications and requested time to respond once submissions were filed.
The High Court has ordered that all bail applications must include affidavits of support.
The State prosecution has until February 27 to file information and disclosures before the accused can take their plea on March 6.
All production orders were extended.
Accused (from lef): Sevuloni Lubi and Alipate Matadigo.
Photo: Laiseana Nasiga
Advertisement
Advertise with Fiji Sun