Suspended sentence for two men who sexually abused minor female

The matter came to light after the girl’s mother took her to hospital following rumours she was pregnant.

Thursday 21 May 2026 | 21:00

The High Court in Labasa has handed down a suspended prison sentence and a community-based order to two men who admitted sexually abusing a 15-year-old girl.

The incident occurred last year. The two accused were charged with sexual offences involving the same complainant and appeared before Justice Burney earlier this week.

The court heard that in April last year, the complainant was walking home after Sunday School when she was approached by the accused.

She was taken to a house where the incident occurred. The court was further told the abuse continued beyond that day, with one of the accused repeatedly having sexual intercourse with the complainant over several months until last August.

The matter came to light after the girl’s mother took her to hospital following rumours she was pregnant.

A police report was later lodged and both accused were arrested. They later pleaded guilty after initially denying the allegations, following an agreed summary of facts.

In sentencing, Justice Burney said the offence was serious because of the victim’s age and the repeated nature of the abuse.

One accused was sentenced to 14 months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, while the other was placed on a community-based corrections order.

They have 30 days to appeal the decision.



News you can trust:

This story was verified by multiple sources
This story was fact-checked

Explore more on these topics