Fuel crisis forces temporary tramline closures in West

Minister says less than 10 per cent of cane is now transported by rail.

Friday 22 May 2026 | 02:30

Sugarcane being cart to the Fiji Sugar Corporation (FSC) Labasa mill during an earlier crushing season.

Sugarcane being cart to the Fiji Sugar Corporation (FSC) Labasa mill during an earlier crushing season.

Photo: Sampras Anand

The tramline system used to transport sugarcane to Fiji’s three sugar mills is unsustainable in some sectors, and temporary closures in low farmer-density areas are expected to reduce fuel losses.

Former Sugar Minister and current Minister for Public Enterprises Charan Jeath Singh said cane transported by tramline accounted for less than 10 per cent of total cane transportation.

Mr Singh said most farmers and sugarcane transport operators had shifted to trucks or tractors, which they believed were more efficient and faster.

“The Fiji Sugar Corporation (FSC) is basically operating at a loss with its tramline system of transporting cane,” he said.

Mr Singh was responding to concerns raised by farmers in the Western Division after FSC decided to suspend the tramline rail network in the Tavua-Rakiraki area because of the ongoing fuel crisis.

He said there had previously been plans to temporarily close parts of the tramline network in the Tavua area.

However, the proposal was later dropped to allow remaining farmers to continue harvesting and supplying cane to the mill.

“The tramlines are used by a very small number of farmers, and they are now diverting to other forms of transport.

“FSC’s argument is that it cannot sustain the tramline system of sugarcane transport.”

Mr Singh said affected farmers would receive subsidies to help them transition to truck or tractor transportation.

North railway to continue

Mr Singh said FSC’s decision to continue tramline transport in the Labasa mill areas was welcomed.

Areas such as Daku, Buceisau and Nubu in Vanua Levu depend heavily on tramline transport for cane delivery.

“Tramline transport is in high demand in the North, so this will continue,” he said.



News you can trust:

This story was verified by multiple sources
This story was fact-checked

Explore more on these topics